Plastic Film and Plastic Bag Recycling…
About Plastic Film
- Manufactured as thin sheets of plastic generally less than 10 ml thick.
- They are mostly made from polyethylene resin (PE). Look for a #2 HDPE or #4 LDPE mark.
- They are recyclable if they are clean and dry.
- Used for wraps, packaging and single use retail bags.
What plastic film materials can I recycle?
Produce bags, plastic shipping envelopes, bread bags, dry cleaning bags, case wrap, produce bags, packing air pillows, newspaper bags, food storage bags, product overwrap (such as the plastic paper towels or toilet paper are wrapped in), bubble wrap, single use plastic shopping bags. Please remove labels, tape, and adhesive strips from plastic shipping envelopes before putting in the recycling bin.
Typical things that are NOT included in this category
Frozen food and prewashed salad bags, candy wrappers, flower bouquet wraps, six pack rings, chip bags, or degradable bags.
Single use plastic bag facts
- That the average American uses about 500 plastic and/or paper bags per year. [Based on EPA estimates]
- The EPA Municipal Solid Waste Report 2010 shows that only about 4.3% of all single use plastic bags are recycled.
- Plastic bags are not recyclable in your bi-weekly curbside collection.
- Do NOT recycle your materials for curbside pickup in plastic bags. Plastic bags bind up the sorting equipment.
From these statistics you can see that it is definitely preferable that you refrain from using single use plastic bags; however, should you have to pick one up because your forgot your reusable bag, you’ll be glad to know that most supermarkets have plastic bag collection bins. In Ewing, please recycle them at the locations below.
1750 Olden Ave.
Ewing, NJ 08638
Hours: Mon-Fri 6am-12midnight | Sat & Sun 6am-12midnight
Look for the plastic film recycling container in the front vestibule of the store on your way in.
1400 Parkway Ave.
Ewing, NJ 08628
Hours: Mon – Sat 7:00am – 9:00pm | Sun 7:00am – 8:00pm
Look for the plastic bag recycling container in the front vestibule of the store on your way in.
1621 N Olden Ave
Ewing Township, NJ 08638
Hours: Mon-Sat: 6:00am – 9:00pm | Sun: 8:00am – 7:00pm
All Home Depot stores accept a variety of items for recycling, including plastic bags. There is a collection bin at the front of the store.